Same as usual, before going directly to the configuration, iNET9 would like to give some tips about what, why, how, etc. 😉
- BGP (Border Gateway Protocol): is a standardized exterior gateway protocol designed to exchange routing and reachability information among autonomous systems on the Internet. The protocol is classified as a path vector protocol.
- NQA (Network Quality Analysis): is a feature of Huawei that monitors network performance in real time and helps diagnose faults occurring on the network. Similarly, it’s IP SLA in Cisco world and RPM in Juniper world. Below are the functionalities that NQA supports:
- DNS test
- FTP test
- HTTP test
- ICMP test
- ICMP Jitter test
- SNMP test
- TCP test
- Trace test
- UDP test
- UDP Jitter test
- MAC ping test
- LSP ping test
- LSP Jitter test
- LSP trace test
- Mtrace test
- PWE3 ping test on a single-hop PW
- PWE3 ping test on a multi-hop PW
- PWE3 trace test on a single-hop PW
- PWE3 trace test on a multi-hop PW
- RTP Test test
- RTP Snoop test
At some certain points or commercial related, you might have ability to use one pipe at a time only but still in physical redundancy. So, in case one link is down or not available, you might prefer your router to automatically establish/switching routing path without bothering your evening or weekend time.
Here how it works,
- we have to get everything ready including P2P connectivity and both BGP sessions.
- Configure NQA to track ICMP to IP address of ISP-A (10.1.1.1)
- Then we configure null0 static route to IP address of ISP-B (10.2.2.1/32) and trace it with NQA.
- When ICMP to ISP-A is unreachable, NQA will active then it will remove static route. As a result, BGP with ISP-B will be established.
- Get the P2P up
#Assign IP to ISP-A facing interface
ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.252
#Assign IP to ISP-B facing interface
ip address 10.2.2.2 255.255.255.252
- Establish the BGP sessions
peer 10.1.1.1 as-number 10
peer 10.1.1.1 description ISP-A_Active
peer 10.2.2.1 as-number 20
peer 10.2.2.1 description ISP-B_Passive
peer 10.1.1.1 enable
peer 10.2.2.1 enable
- Do the NQA using ICMP
nqa test-instance ISPA ICMP
destination-address ipv4 10.1.1.1
source-address ipv4 10.1.1.2
interval seconds 5
ip route-static 10.2.2.1 255.255.255.255 NULL0 track nqa ISPA ICMP
That’s it! Let us know in the comment below.